13 FOODS THAT PROMOTE DISEASE
The Center for Disease Control states "Chronic diseases and conditions—such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and arthritis—are among the most common, costly, and preventable of all health problems."
If most diseases are preventable (which they are), why aren't people doing what they can do to prevent disease? Either they don't know what to do (that's why I do what I do :), or they don't care enough to make the lifestyle changes
For 45+ yrs of my life, both were my reasons...until I started losing the health that I knew should be rightfully mine. I had to own up to the responsibility to care for the body that God gave me with his ways and not the world's ways. I finally saw that if I kept doing what everyone else was doing I was going to continue with the same health problems as everyone else. No thank you! Been there done that. I finally got tired of being sick and tired. I have to admit, I sure like having more of a quality life with less doctor visits & prescription pills.
As you focus more on getting the foods God created for the health and vitality of your body you will crowd out the man-made foods that can cause inflammation and disease. Bring in the healthy foods and start riding your pantry & your life of these toxic foods...
- Refined Sugars–tend to rapidly spike insulin levels and feed the growth of cancer cells. Fructose-rich sweeteners like high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) are particularly offensive, as cancer cells have been shown to quickly and easily metabolize them in order to proliferate. And since cookies, candy, cakes, pies, sodas, juices, sauces, cereals, and many other popular, mostly processed, food items are loaded with HFCS and other refined sugars, this helps explain why cancer rates are on the rise these days as well as insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Sugar is very addicting and is a poison to the body. Note: When using natural sugars like dates, coconut sugar, stevia, honey, etc. you still need to eat in moderation and if you have health issues you may need to limit it entirely.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup – leads to insulin resistance, diabetes, gout, cancer and obesity and it's in almost every packaged food (snacks, desserts, canned soups, canned fruit, sodas, etc.) Read ingredient labels to make sure it isn't in your food. See examples here .
- Artificial Sweeteners - Aspartame (i.e. NutraSweet) and Sucralose (i.e. Splenda), Saccharin (i.e. Equal)- neurotoxins that cause brain tumors and increased cravings for sweets leading to insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease and obesity (yes, contrary to popular belief, “diet” or “sugar-free” foods make you fat).
- Hydrogenated oils, partially hydrogenated oils –They are commonly used to preserve processed foods and keep them shelf-stable. But hydrogenated oils alter the structure and flexibility of cell membranes throughout the body, which can lead to a host of debilitating diseases such as cancer heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Some manufacturers are phasing out the use of hydrogenated oils and replacing them with other safer alternatives, but trans fats are still widely used in processed foods.
- MSG (monosodium glutamate) - i.e. hydrolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed protein, etc.) MSG is a neuroexcitotoxin which hyper stimulates brain cells, causing them to burn out and die, leading to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. MSG can also cause migraines, nausea, dizziness, difficulty breathing, and heart problems. Find a list of MSG products here .
- Soda pop (Diet and/or Regular) – leads to insulin resistance, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity; also, the phosphoric acid leads to calcium depletion, which leads to osteoporosis. Loaded with sugar, food chemicals, and colorings, soda pop acidifies the body and literally feeds cancer cells. Common soda pop chemicals like caramel color and its derivative 4-methylimidazole (4-MI) have also specifically been linked to causing cancer. Click here to find out what happens within 1 hr of drinking a soda.
- Microwave Popcorn - They might be convenient, but those bags of microwave popcorn are lined with chemicals that are linked to causing not only infertility but also liver, testicular, and pancreatic cancers. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes the perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in microwave popcorn bag linings as "likely" carcinogenic, and several independent studies have linked the chemical to causing tumors. Similarly, the diacetyl chemical used in the popcorn itself is linked to causing both lung damage and cancer. Read more here.
- Fried foods (this includes chips) – cause heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity. You are better off baking, roasting, grilling or steaming your food instead of frying it. Frying food also increases your fat and calorie intake. For the occasional frying then I would recommend coconut oil as a safe and healthier alternative to toxic cooking oils.
- Refined flour foods (breads, pasta, cakes, cookies, crackers, etc.) – grains cause insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Gliadin, one of the two main protein components of gluten, is very pro-inflammatory. A study published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Mile Markers, and Prevention found that regular consumption of refined carbohydrates was linked to a 220 percent increase in breast cancer among women. High-glycemic foods in general have also been shown to rapidly raise blood sugar levels in the body, which directly feeds cancer cell growth and spread
- Cured meats most processed meat products, including lunch meats, bacon, sausage, and hot dogs, contain chemical preservatives that make them appear fresh and appealing, but that can also cause cancer. Both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate have been linked to significantly increasing the risk of colon and other forms of cancer, so be sure to choose only uncured meat products made without nitrates, and preferably from grass-fed sources. Studies have shown that children who eat hot dogs have a higher rate of leukemia and higher risk of brain cancer.
- Pasteurized and homogenized milk and milk products (including ice cream, yogurt, etc.) – cause heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity. Milk, butter and heavy cream from organic pasture-fed cows is the exception. We currently love to get our raw milk, butter, Greek yogurt, etc. here .
- Artificial Food Colorings – red, blue, and yellow dyes are used widely in many foods. Like MSG, they are neuroexcitotoxins and a contributory factor in attention-deficit disorder, emotional problems and hyperactivity.
- Genetically-modified organisms (GMOs). It goes without saying that GMOs have no legitimate place in any cancer-free diet, especially now that both GMOs and the chemicals used to grow them have been shown to cause rapid tumor growth. But GMOs are everywhere, including in most food derivatives made from conventional corn, soybeans, and canola. However, you can avoid them by sticking with certified organic, certified non-GMO verified, and locally-grown foods that are produced naturally without biotechnology.
Aren't you ready for a better life? It won't be handed to you, you will have to make some wise choices and implement changes that your body's "unnatural" cravings & addictions may dictate otherwise.
Even though it is not an easy road to take, you may be one of the few, who like me, decide that this road is worth it. Your wise decisions and actions will lead to a healthier life with more energy, less doctor visits and a much clearer mind.
Doesn't this remind you about our spiritual destination as well? "The gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." Matthew 7:14
Though difficult at times, it's worth finding that healthy life with a loving God. Have you found this life yet?
Fill out the contact form if you need some help during your health journey. I am here for you and I hope this information has been helpful to you. Please share with others.